Wednesday, June 24, 2009

What to do With a Blue Bike in a Red Apartment?

So last summer, when I bought my bike, I didn't really have a lot of choice in the color, but that's a whole other story. Needless to say, I ended up with a blue bike, despite my original choice of copper. My apartment is full of reds, oranges, yellows, everything but blue, and my original choice of bike would have looked right at home.

Habitually Chic posted today about the cuteness appeal of bike-riding, even mentioning how Chloe Sevigney's bike matches her hallway, as seen below, so that got me thinking about my bike solution.

(Photo courtesy of Habitually Chic)

When I got my bike home, it unfortunately just didn't fit in.

DC Apt No 2-11

This lead to some grandiose plans of building a box to house my bike. I had designed it to be a 2' wide, 6' tall, and 6' long box, and the top two feet of the box would have fabric sides and would be a light box. So boyfriend and I took a trip to the Depot, despite his misgivings about how ridiculous a gigantic box would look in my apartment, and procured the necessary supplies. We hauled everything up to my apartment, and I took one look at the gigantic pieces of plywood, and said, no way. Unfortunately, at this point, I had a pile of wood and I had to do something with it. I had gotten several smaller pieces of wood for trim, so I played around in excel for a while (I'm a nerd), and came up with a design for a much smaller screen, to just hide it a bit.


So after I stained all the wood, boyfriend assembled the screen/light box in my kitchen, and my bike is free to hide away! Too bad I've rearranged the furniture and the bike can no longer be hidden by the screen. :)

IMG_7243

IMG_7265

No comments:

Related Posts

Blog Widget by LinkWithin