Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Taxation without Representation

So anyone who moves to DC finds out really quickly that living in a district is a little different than living in a state. I never really took great offense to the fact that we don't have any voting senators or representatives, because I still had my own vote. But I've been living here over three years now, and it's starting to get to me. I went on a tour of the Capitol with my parents when they were here in April, and the whole thing was pretty much a snub on Washingtonians. We came really close last month to getting representation, but it stalled when gun control provisions (or rather gun uncontrol provisions) were added to the bill. So this morning I came across an article in the Washington Post that details how Puerto Rico is now in the runnings for becoming the 51st state. Really? Really?

No comments:

Related Posts

Blog Widget by LinkWithin