Friday, March 4, 2011

Where to Put My Coffee?

Today I'm here to talk to you about coffee tables. I normally would never consider not having a coffee table, especially since I don't have a dedicated dining table anymore, but my current apartment makes it a bit difficult. My living room is only about 9 feet wide, and by the time you throw a couch on one side and bookshelves on the other, it's hard to fit in a coffee table. This is what it looked like when I first moved in, just so you have an idea of what I'm working with here:

DSC_7829

Sidenote: I really need to take new pictures of my apartment. Since then I have added doors to the bottom two shelves of the bookshelves, bought a new rug, decided I didn't like it and made a new rug (stay tuned for that one), sold that couch, and got my other couch back from boyfriend.

Anyway, I have tried a couple of options, including a bench (as shown in my old apartment):

living room

as well as a pair of end tables boyfriend and I made out of copper pipes with wood tops (no photo of that one because I'm so behind on photographing my projects).

Both things just seemed to make the living room busy, but it's really annoying not have a surface to put things on. I do have end tables, but it's just so much more convenient to have the coffee table. I was thinking perhaps something in acrylic would work, as it would visually disappear, but it's not really my style. I did run across this one, I think on Apartment Therapy, a while ago, which I found on Amazon, but I'm not sure:

Thoughts? If you can think of a better way to arrange the room as well, let me know. I've spent a few evenings getting a work out moving stuff around, but it always ends up the same way.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Clear coffee tables (glass or acrylic) are great for smaller spaces. I have a glass one. A note on the acrylic, I use a couple of similar ones for potted plants and after a couple of years it's really scuffed up with short and long scratches (and they're in corners where I don't move stuff). If you get a plastic coffee table, be prepared that it'll get scuffed or you have to be super diligent about coasters etc.

Anonymous said...

these are the ones I have BTW:
http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Acrylic-Nesting-End-Tables-Set-of-3/1995574/product.html?rcmndsrc=5

McLaura said...

Thanks for the advice on the scratching! I tend to not be so careful with things like that, so acrylic would probably end up a mess at my house. Your tables are lovely!

Related Posts

Blog Widget by LinkWithin